Our Assistant Head of School, Amanda Keil, recently appeared on News 10 to share proven ways to deal with Back to School Anxiety. Mrs. Keil's tips are below, and you can click the image to watch the full segment!
- Establish a routine (Bedtime, Wake up time)
- Read Picture Books (Many first day of school stories are available)
- Pack supplies, snacks, and lunch together. While packing, talk about what a child may expect at school.
- Stay calm and confident (Children will feed off the parent’s emotions)
- For younger children establish a goodbye plan. How will they say goodbye when they get on the bus or when they get dropped off? Some children have a hard time separating. It can be hard for parents but the best thing to do is follow your plan.
- For older students make sure all summer assignments are complete so they can start off the school year on the right foot.